Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


I'm going to be reviewing a lot of books on here, namely by my all-time favorite author (not just because she's my mother) the incomparable Marissa Monteilh, Emily Giffin (my imaginary bff) and Eric Jerome Dickey, among many others. But this book in particular, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, is so fresh in my mind because I just finished reading it - so I will start with this one.
I cannot believe that this is Kathryn Stockett's first book. I am utterly and immensely impressed with her style of writing and ablilty to draw you in while reading the book. I felt like all of the main characters were sitting right beside me, telling me the story and acting out the scenes. Not to give too much away, but this book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960s, and is told from three points of view ~ Aibileen and Minny(my favorite), who are African American maids, hence the title, and Skeeter, who is a white, single woman with a college degree, who becomes enthralled in their plight. This is a book that I would re-read again and again. It is a classic story that will definitely spark a lot of conversation and debate, given the tough and controversial storyline. It's so beautifully and masterfully written that I choked up while reading it, which rarely happens to me while reading. The fact that this book has 2,694 reviews on Amazon's website
speaks for itself. What a beautiful story. Read it as a gift to yourself ~ you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment